This is my mom, in early 2000. She agreed to help me with my first casting project:
a sundial sculpture of my dog Snoop.
The part you see here was challenging because it was so large, thin, and flat. I
was worried that the metal might freeze in places before filling the mold entirely.
I was also afraid that we'd run out of metal before the mold filled up. But everything
We're using oil-bond sand. Hence, the smoke. I had to make the flask special for
how the sundial turned out.
These are commemorative of year Zeeland High School split into two separate schools:
East and West. The superintendent flipped one of these coins at the first homecoming
game against East and West, to decide who would start offensively.
To see how I made these coins,
This is the pattern for my most challenging casting project. I made this pig for
HR Electronics, to be an eye-catcher at the Dayton HamVention.
In 2001, I pulled
it out of the garage, dusted it off, and used it
as a pattern for what I hope to
be a piggy bank.
I envision the piggy bank to have a combination-locking door, like a safe, and to
about 200 pounds.
to see how far I am on this project.
Before I cast the piggy bank, I decided to try something a bit smaller. After all
the problems I had with the coins, I considered the colossal waste of time and money
I would endure if the thing didn't turn out on the first try. Michelle's cat passed
away before his time, so I decided to make a sculpture to immortalize him and to
mark his grave in the garden.
This is also when I switched from expensive "investment" to plaster and beech sand.
It's a good thing I tried the cat before the pig - the first try was a learning
experience. To see my progress, you guessed it,